Materials and Coatings Project of Machinery and Equipment Manufacturing TX00DJ52-3001 13.01.2020-08.05.2020 5 credits(MATPI18, ...)+-
Learning outcomes of the course
The student can use systematic material selection methods and essential sources of material information.
The student can select a proper method for various material test and research requirements and study the essential properties and microstructures of materials.
The student knows how metals are protected by product painting, thermal spraying and weld overlaying and can inspect the coating quality.
1. Conducting materials selection
2. Mechanical testing
3. Non-destructive testing
4. Characterization of materials
5. Coating of metal products
1. The student can measure the hardness, strength and toughness of materials.
2. The student can utilize the essential information sources in materials selection.
1. The student can select proper materials for various requirements.
2. The student can carry out simple non-destructive tests and measure coating thicknesses from various substrates.
3. The student can characterize metal alloys with the help of optical microscopy.
4. The student can carry out the quality inspections of product painting.
5. The student can carry out thermal spray coating proceeding with appropriate stages
1. The student can utilize the systematic materials selection methods.
2. The student can select appropriate general analysis, microanalysis and surface analysis methods for various needs in materials characterization.
3. The student can study the quality of thermal spray coatings and weld overlays.
4. The student can select an appropriate coating material and an application method for it.
The course contains studies of English (1 ECTS).
Name of lecturer(s)
Mode of delivery
Language of instruction
Tuition in Finnish
13.01.2020 - 08.05.2020
02.12.2019 - 07.01.2020
0 - 30
Unit, in charge
(2016-2018) Clean Technology
Juha Kotamies, Kai Laitinen, Minna Paananen-Porkka