Orientation to Engineering Studies TX00CY29-3018 26.08.2019-25.10.2019 15 credits(TXD19S1)+-
Learning outcomes of the course
- After completing this course, students are familiar with their physical and social study environment. Students are familiar with key information systems of Metropolia. Students are familiar with their career opportunities.
- Students develop their studying and problem solving skills required in learning of mathematics and natural sciences. Students are able to use some mathematical software.
- Students are able to use programming in their studies.
- On completion of the course the students will be able to compose basic documents in his or her field.
- Students understand the role of communication in working life and know how to communicate at workplaces. Students also understand intercultural communication and possible challenges it may involve.
- After completing this course students understands the risk factors of electrical current and the influence on humans.
1. Expressions, equations and systems of equations
2. Introduction to physics
3. Quantities, units and graphical charts
4. English for technology and working life
5. Oral and written reporting
6. Intercultural communication
7. Introduction to programming
8. Learning and study skills
9. Knowledge related to specific fields of work
10. Metropolia as a study environment
11. Safe working at electrical laboratory
The student has achieved the course objectives fairly. The student will be able to identify, define and use the course subject area’s concepts and models. The student understands the criteria and principles of the expertise development. The student has completed the required learning exercises in minimum requirement level. His/her competences have developed in a way that he/she may complete the remaining studies and finally work in a suitable job position related to this field.
The student has achieved the course objectives well, even though the knowledge and skills need improvement on some areas. The student has completed the required learning exercises in good or satisfactory level. The student is able to define the course concepts and models and is able to justify the analysis. The student is able to apply their knowledge in study and work situations. The student understands the importance of expertise in the field and is able to analyze his/her own expertise.
The student has achieved the objectives of the course with excellent marks. The student master commendably the course subject area’s concepts and models. The student has completed the required learning exercises in good or excellent level. The student is able to make justified and fluent analysis and to present concrete development measures. The student is well prepared to apply their knowledge study and work situations. Students are able to analyze the expertise and the evolvement of their own expertise.
Name of lecturer(s)
Mode of delivery
Language of instruction
26.08.2019 - 25.10.2019
21.08.2019 - 23.08.2019
0 - 60
Unit, in charge
Petri Valve, Heikki Valmu, Jyrki Piila, Matti Fischer, Berit Mannfors, Jenni Pöllönen