On completion of the course the student will have the knowledge on the basic concepts and equipment of fluid mechanics. The student will be able to apply basic equations of fluid mechanics and sizing pumps and pipes.
Prerequisites and co-requisites
Math and Science Basics 1
Math and Science Basics 2
Math and Science Basics 3
1. The basic concepts and equations in fluid mechanics
2. Equations of continuity and energy balance, dimensionless numbers and their applications in fluid mechanics
3. Pressure losses in pipes; friction and minor losses
4. Piping, vessels and fittings
5. Pumps and sizing of pumps
6. Basic concepts and equipment of compress and vacuum technology
The student is able to define and describe basic concepts and phenomena included in the course in a qualitative way and to compute straightforward problems mainly based on inserting a correct quantity into a correct formula.
The student is able to define or describe the concepts and phenomena in one´s own words; he also knows how to explain the origin and meaning of related equations and to critically evaluate different solutions. The student is able to select and size centrifugal pumps according to process demands.
The student is able to characterize and model phenomena on the basis of reasonable assumptions as well as to analyze, evaluate and modify solutions and the model when needed. The student is able to size and optimize pipes for liquid and gas flows and select appropriate fittings. The student is able to select and size a pump and optimize it according to process demands. The student knows types of different pumps.