Physical and Chemical Properties of Fluids and Materials TX00DJ59-3001 26.08.2019-25.10.2019 5 credits(TXM18S1, ...)+-
Learning outcomes of the course
After completion of this course, the student understands the concepts related to chemical and physical properties of substances and is thus able to solve relevant problems in his or her own professional field, to apply this understanding as a necessary basis in later studies and to utilize it in future professional tasks. Major fields of application are chemical reactions, reactors, mass transfer and heat transfer.
Prerequisites and co-requisites
Math and Science Basics 1
Math and Science Basics 2
1. Real gases, equations of state, the concept of partial pressure
2. Vapors and moisture
3. Internal energy, enthalpy and Gibbs energy of substances
4. Heat capacity, molar and specific heat capacity
5. Heats of phase transitions (latent heats)
6. Ideal solutions, ideally dilute solutions (Henry´s law)
7. Deepening the concepts of phase equilibria
8. Liquids: viscosity, surface tension, refractive index
9. Solids: adsorption
10. Conductivity of heat, conductivity of electricity
11. Optionally, other topics (e.g. radioactivity).
The student is able to define and describe the concepts and phenomena included in the course in a qualitative way and to compute straightforward problems mainly based on inserting a correct quantity into a correct formula.
The student is able to define or describe the concepts and phenomena in his or her own words; he or she also knows how to explain the origin and meaning of related equations and to critically evaluate different solutions.
The student is able to characterize and model phenomena on the basis of reasonable assumptions as well as to analyze, evaluate and modify solutions and the model when needed.