Orientation to Field and Studies in Biotechnical, Chemical and Surface Engineering
|Orientation to Field and Studies||5|
|Fundamentals of Chemistry 1||5|
|Fundamentals of Chemistry 2||5|
|Math and Science Basics 1||5|
|Math and Science Basics 2||5|
Introduction to Industrial Processes in Biotechnical, Chemical and Materials Engineering
|Math and Science Basics 3||5|
|Basics in Biosciences||5|
|Food Chemistry and Nutrition||5|
|Project Course in Biotechnology and Chemical Engineering||10|
Properties of Biomaterials
|Biochemistry and Gene Technology||5|
|Statistics and Design of experiments||5|
|Heat Transfer and Fluid Mechanics in Food Engineering||5|
|Food Manufacturing 1||5|
Biotechnical and Food Processes
|Food Manufacturing 2||5|
|Food Product Development Project||5|
|Process Hygiene Project||5|
Products, Quality and Safety
|Process Planning Project||5|
Plant Design and Profitability Calculations
|Current Topics in Biotechnology and Food Engineering||5|
|Finnish as a Second Language: Finnish at Work||5|
Elective Module 1
|Work Placement 1||15|
|Work Placement 2||15|
|ECTS credits per period / semester / academic year||60||60||65||30||30||30||30||30||30||35||22.5||7.5||12.5||17.5||12.5||17.5||15||15||15||15||15||15||20||15||11.3||11.3||3.8||3.8|
Due to the timing of optional and elective courses, credit accumulation per semester / academic year may vary.
The Bachelor studies in Biotechnology and Chemical Engineering is a combination of chemistry and technology, and to some content also biology in the case of Biotechnology and Food Engineering studies. The area includes production of many useful commodities in respect to society and common welfare, such as food, fuels, medical products, cosmetics and paints. Prospective carriers are often found in connection to development and manufacturing of these products, as well as environmental monitoring.
Good scientific knowledge is a quality of the graduated engineer and is developed during the studies. The first year studies are the same for all students.
During the second academic semester the professional major is chosen among three alternatives:
• Biotechnology and Food Engineering
• Chemical Engineering
• Materials and Surface Engineering
In addition to the professional major the student chooses a module from some other degree programme or one or two interdisciplinary elective modules, which are connected to her/his personal interests and goals. These studies support wide-ranging, and the diverse range ensures that the graduated engineer has a strong, applied and environmentally friendly measure of the field.
The studies include a 20-week guided work placement and a Bachelor’s thesis during the final year of study.
On completion of the professional major, students
• know the requirements of production hygiene and practical microbiology for process and laboratory environments and can evaluate the functionality of the solutions
• can present the properties and industrial applications of common microbes and enzymes
• can design and size food processes and other bioprocesses as well as select suitable device configurations taking into account the requirements set by raw materials, chemicals, end products and maintenance.
• know the life cycle of foodstuffs and diagnostic products from product development to production
• are familiar with the main points of the legislation in the field of Biotechnology and Food Engineering and can apply the legislation in their own work
• master the basics of quality management and are able to design statistically reliable test series and to interpret the results gained from the tests.