Orientation to Field and Studies in Biotechnical, Chemical and Surface Engineering
|Orientation to Field and Studies||5|
|Fundamentals of Chemistry 1||5|
|Fundamentals of Chemistry 2||5|
|Math and Science Basics 1||5|
|Math and Science Basics 2||5|
Introduction to Industrial Processes in Biotechnical, Chemical and Materials Engineering
|Math and Science Basics 3||5|
|Analytical and Organic Chemistry||5|
|Industrial Processes and Materials||5|
|Project Course in Biotechnology and Chemical Engineering||10|
Structure and Properities of Materials
|Project of Studying Material Properties||5|
Corrosion Protection of Metal Constuctions
|Corrosion and methods for Corrosion Protection||5|
|Anticorrosive Painting and Hot dip Coating||10|
Materials and Surfaces in Machine Building
|Materials and Coatings Technology of Machinery and Equipment Manufacturing||10|
|Materials and Coatings Project of Machinery and Equipment Manufacturing||5|
Coatings of Buildings
|Coatings of Buildings and Their Life Cycle||10|
|Coating Project on Building Construction and Repair||5|
|Product Design and Manufacturing||5|
|Current Topics in Materials and Surface Engineering||5|
|Finnish as a Second Language: Finnish at Work||5|
Installations in Surface Engineering
|Project on Metallic Coatings and Industrial Painting||5|
|Environment and Safety||5|
Elective Module 1
|Work Placement 1||15|
|Work Placement 2||15|
|ECTS credits per period / semester / academic year||60||60||65||30||30||30||30||30||35||30||22.5||7.5||12.5||17.5||15||15||15||15||15||15||17.5||17.5||15||15||11.3||11.3||3.8||3.8|
Due to the timing of optional and elective courses, credit accumulation per semester / academic year may vary.
The Bachelor studies in Biotechnology and Chemical Engineering is a combination of chemistry and technology, and to some content also biology in the case of Biotechnology and Food Engineering studies. The area includes production of many useful commodities in respect to society and common welfare, such as food, fuels, medical products, cosmetics and paints. Prospective carriers are often found in connection to development and manufacturing of these products, as well as environmental monitoring.
Good scientific knowledge is a quality of the graduated engineer and is developed during the studies. The first year studies are the same for all students.
During the second academic semester the professional major is chosen among three alternatives:
• Biotechnology and Food Engineering
• Chemical Engineering
• Materials and Surface Engineering
In addition to the professional major the student chooses a module from some other degree programme or one or two interdisciplinary elective modules, which are connected to her/his personal interests and goals. These studies support wide-ranging, and the diverse range ensures that the graduated engineer has a strong, applied and environmentally friendly measure of the field.
The studies include a 20-week guided work placement and a Bachelor’s thesis during the final year of study.
On completion of the professional major, students
• are familiar with material and coating properties that are crucial in technical applications and can select appropriate materials and coatings for each application
• know how the structure and working conditions of materials affect the properties of materials and can treat the materials to achieve the desired properties
• are able to measure the most common properties of materials and coatings.
• can select methods for preventing corrosion on metals
• are able to design and manage a coating manufacturing process in a creditable and economical manner
• are able to size the most common equipment used in material and coating manufacturing processes
• know the environmental, health and safety requirements for production and are able to apply to the authorities for the required permits