Preparatory program for immigrants in the field of health care and social services
|Introduction to Preparatory Program and Higher Education Studies||5|
|Health Care and Social Services and Finnish as a Second Language 1 (B1)||5|
|Health Care and Social Services and Finnish as a Second Language 2 (B1)||5|
|Health Care and Social Services and Finnish as a Second Language 3 (B2)||5|
|Introduction to Mathematics in Health Care and Social Services||5|
|English for Health Care and Social Services||5|
|ECTS credits per period / semester / academic year||30||30||17.5||12.5|
Due to the timing of optional and elective courses, credit accumulation per semester / academic year may vary.
The preparatory program is targeted to persons with an immigrant background who aim at applying to higher education studies at universities or universities of applied sciences in Finland. The prerequisites for taking part in the program are proficiency in Finnish language (minimum CEFR level B1) and the qualification for higher education studies*.
The duration of a 30-ECTS program is five months. The program consists of one common study unit for all the students and separate study modules that focus on different professional fields or other academic fields of study.
The contents of the program emphasize the Finnish language studies and professional or multidisciplinary preparatory studies for higher education. In addition, the program includes studies in English language and communication and mathematics. All the contents also aim at developing academic study skills, digital skills and knowledge of Finnish higher education.
* Applicants are qualified for higher education studies if they have
• a Finnish matriculation examination certificate,
• a Finnish vocational upper secondary qualification,
• a foreign certificate that qualifies for higher education studies in the country in question or,
• a foreign academic degree.
If the applicants cannot prove their qualification with a certificate, they must be granted a refugee status (a decision on refuge or a residence permit based on international protection).
The objective of the program is to offer the students the skills needed to enter and succeed in higher education studies. The main emphasis is on developing the skills that are needed in entrance exams and studies at universities and universities of applied sciences. The aim related to the Finnish language skills is developing the Finnish language proficiency from CEFR level B1 to CEFR level B2.
The general objectives include:
• understanding the Finnish higher education system and its practices
• developing social and teamwork skills
• developing self-management skills and taking responsibility in the learning process
• reflecting on learning topics and the learning process
• expressing opinions and critique
• searching for information and critical literacy
• developing different reading techniques and multiliteracy
• mastering basic mathematical operations
• understanding and using English materials as well as being able to communicate in English both orally and in writing
The main objectives related to the Finnish language skills include:
• mastering the vocabulary and concepts needed in higher education studies
• knowing the differences between written and spoken language
• developing oral communication skills
• recognizing different text types and styles
• being able to write different texts
• being able to construct sentences: sentence types, sentence analysis, non-finite clauses, punctuation
• having command of language structures: case government, cases, tenses and expressions of time, nominal forms, transitive and intransitive verbs, conjunctions