Common Core Studies
|Managing Research, Development and Innovation; Work Communities and Group Behavior||5|
|Creative Musicianship - Creative Teaching||5|
|Language and International Skills||5|
|Occupational Research and Development Methods||5|
Advanced Studies in the Area of Specialization
(Select 5 ECTS)
|Music Technology Skills||5|
|Skills in the Area of Specialization||5|
|Research and Development Project Implementation||20|
|Final Project Report and Maturity Test||10|
(Select 5 ECTS)
|ECTS credits per period / semester / academic year||70||35||35||17.5||17.5||17.5||17.5|
Studies of syllabus is planned so 60 credits are studied in academic year. Planned syllabus may change during studies.
Due to the timing of optional and elective courses, credit accumulation per semester / academic year may vary.
Master's Degree in Music prepares students for working in demanding leadership and research and development positions in the music industry and music education.
Graduates with a Master’s degree in Music Performance or Music Pedagogy have great aptitude for life-long learning, good communication and interpersonal skills, as well as in-depth expertise in their area of specialization. Depending on their work experience and interests, students can focus on artistic, pedagogical or administrative studies, or a combination of all these.
Training is organized as a combination of on-campus and off-campus learning, which allows the students to work and study at the same time. Personal Study Plans are created to cater for individual needs for professional development. Courses provide an integrated and coherent learning process. The programme consists of lectures, peer group learning, collaborative learning and individual tutoring.
The general objectives of the education are:
1. Development of the expertise needed when working in music education and the music industry.
2. Strengthening of leadership skills needed in work community development in music schools and in the music industry.
3. Implementation of innovative learning and development projects. Supporting the development process of new or specialized areas, for example, in music engineering, using arts-based methods in elderly care and arts integration.
The strengths of the Metropolia Master’s degree in Music are
- Extensive experience in providing a high-quality Master’s degree program,
- Diverse offering of courses to meet individual development needs
- Strong pedagogical competence in adult education
- Highly competent and experienced teaching staff and supervisors
- Effective use of digital learning environments and distance learning
- Continuous development of education in collaboration with students and industry employers.