Courses Available for Exchange Students
Incoming exchange students may only choose courses from the degree programmes that their home institution degree programme has an exchange agreement with. In addition, some courses are available for all exchange students (see below).
Finnish Language Courses
Exchange students studying at Metropolia can familiarise themselves with Finnish language and culture on the course Finnish for Exchange Students (3-5 ECTS). The course is offered free of charge for exchange students. Several Finnish courses are organised on different campuses at the beginning of each semester.
Please note the Finnish for Foreigners courses are intended primarily for our non-Finnish speaking degree students, not exchange students. Therefore, if you wish to study Finnish during your exchange, please choose the course Finnish for Exchange Students instead.
Schedules for the Autumn Semester 2016:
Group 1: Finnish for Exchange Students (XX00CL91-3002) 3+2 ects
Priority to health care and social services exchange students
On Vanha viertotie 23 campus, (Helsinki), classroom TBA
From 30.8.- 19.10.2016:
- Tue 30.8.-27.9. from 14.00 to 16.30 (3 h)
- Tue 4.10. and Wed 5.10. from 12.30 to 15.45 (4 h)
- Tue 11.10. and Wed 12.10. from 12.30 to 15.45 (4 h)
- Tue 18.10. from 12.30 to 15.00 (3 h)
- Wed 19.10. 12.30 to 14.00 (2 h)
Group 2: Finnish for Exchange Students (XXXAB02-3024)
Priority to students studying in the fields of culture and technology
Bulevardi campus (Bulevardi 31, Helsinki)
- Tue 13.9. - 18.10. from 16.30 to 18.45, room P218
- Tue 25.10.-13.12. from 16.30 to 18.45, room P320
Group 3: Finnish for Exchange Students (XX00CL91-TBA)
Priority to students studying in Leppävaara
Leppävaara campus (Vanha Maantie 6, Espoo), classroom TBA
Dates and time to be confirmed.
Group 4: Finnish for Exchange Students (XXXAB02-3023)
Priority to students studying in Myyrmäki
Myyrmäki campus (Leiritie 1, Vantaa)
- Fri 2.9.-16.12.2016 from 12.00 to 14.30, room A208
Schedules for the Spring Semester 2017:
Group 1: Finnish for Exchange Students (XXXAB02-3030)
on Bulevardi campus (Bulevardi 31, Helsinki)
Tuesdays 17.1. - 11.4. from 16.30 to 18.45, classroom P218
Group 2: Finnish for Exchange Students (XXXAB02-3031)
on Bulevardi campus (Bulevardi 31, Helsinki
Mondays 13.3. - 15.5. from 16.30 to 18.45 (8 times) + Wednesdays 19.4.-10.5. from 16.30 to 18.45 (4 times), classroom P218
Other language courses
A selection of language courses are offered by the Metropolia Business School and organized at the Leiritie campus. Courses are available to exchange students if space permits.
Autumn semester 2016:
Finnish 1 (A1.1- A1.2) 5 cr LX00CG43
Finnish 2 (A1.2 - A2) 5 cr LX00CG44
French 2 (A1.2 - A2) 5 cr LX00CG45
French 4 (B1 - B2) 5 cr LX00CG52
German 2 (A1.2 - A2) 5 cr LX00CG46
German 4 (B1 - B2) 5 cr LX00CG53
Spanish 2 (A1.2 - A2) 5 cr LX00CG47
Spanish 4 (B1 - B2) 5 cr LX00CG54
Spring semester 2017:
Finnish 1 (A1.1- A1.2) LX00CG43
Finnish 3 (A2 - B1) LX00CG48
French 1 (A1.1- A1.2) LX00CF76
French 3 (A2 - B1) LX00CG49
German 1 (A1.1- A1.2) LX00CF77
German 3 (A2 - B1) LX00CG50
Spanish 1 (A1.1- A1.2) LX00CF74
Spanish 3 (A2 - B1) LX00CG55
Course schedules available in the Schedule Machine.
International Summer School
The Degree Programme in Information Technology offers an International Summer School in August 2016. The students of our partner institutions are welcome to take courses from the Summer School free of charge. All tuition is in English. More information about the courses in the Summer School can be found by April 2016, at the Summer School website.
Study Tour to St. Petersburg (3 ECTS)
This 8-day/5-day study tour is organised twice a year. The tour is designed to introduce the students to Russian business and academic culture. The detailed course information and instructions for enrolment will be announced at the beginning of each semester.
General information about the Business School:
The fact sheet for 2017-2018 will be available in early March 2017.
Courses for incoming exchange students:
The following course list is available for exchange students from an institution the Business school has and exchange agreement with and who have been nominated to the Business school by their home institution.
Course information for 2016-2017
- Course implementation list for the autumn semester 2016. Please note that information in the ‘Upcoming implementations’ section in course descriptions will be updated constantly. Specific course schedules for autumn 2016 will be available by end of May 2016.
- Course implementation list for the spring semester 2017. Please note that information in the ‘Upcoming implementations’ section in course descriptions will be updated constantly. Specific course schedules for spring 2017 will be available by December 2016.
- Course schedules available in the Schedule Machine. (Instructions)
Course information for Autumn 2017 is estimated to be available in April 2017. Course schedules for Autumn 2017 are estimated to be available in May 2017. Course information for Spring 2018 is estimated to be available in September 2017. Course schedules for Spring 2018 are estimated to be available in December 2017.
Courses for incoming double degree students:
The curriculum and course information for the academic year 2016-2017
- Universidad Europea de Madrid (pdf)
- Hochschule für Wirtschaft und Recht Berlin
- Hochschule für Technik und Wirtschaft Berlin (pdf)
- Fachhochschule Krems (pdf)
- University of Hertfordshire
- La Rochelle (pdf)
- ESC Rennes (pdf)
- Wolverhampton (pdf)
General information about the Field of Technology:
Course List Availability
Please note! The course lists for Spring 2017 will be updated soon.
The courses listed below are preliminary and some changes might occur. Course information and availability is subject to change throughout the academic year.
Bachelor's Degree Programmes conducted in English:
- Environmental Engineering: courses Autumn 2016, Spring 2017 Myyrmäki unit
- Electronics: courses 2016-2017, Albertinkatu unit, Helsinki
- Sustainable Building Engineering: courses Autumn 2016, Spring 2017 Agricolankatu unit, Helsinki
- Information Technology: courses Autumn 2016, Spring 2017 Leppävaara unit
* Major in Software Engineering
* Major in Smart Systems
* Major in IoT and Cloud Computing
* Minor in Hybrid Media
* Minor in Mobile Solution, including in period 3: Native development: Android and iOS, 10 cr; and in period 4: Backend Web development using Node.js frameworks 10 cr + Security 5 cr
* Media Engineering: courses 2016-2017
International Semesters and Modules conducted in English:
- Industrial Management International Semester: Global ICT Business 2016-2017, courses Autumn 2016 and Spring 2017, Leppävaara unit (some courses might be in Helsinki unit)
- Industrial Management International Semester: Supply Chain Management 2016-2017, courses Autumn 2016, Leppävaara unit
- Laboratory Sciences: International Semester Autumn 2016, Onnentie unit, Helsinki
Study opportunities for exchange students in Degree Programmes in Finnish
The following Finnish-taught degree programmes offer study opportunities in English for incoming exchange students in academic year 2016-2017:
- Automotive Engineering: Innovation Project (10 ECTS) or project in Metropolia Formula-team (10-30 ECTS), more information
- Biotechnology and Chemical Engineering: Courses Autumn 2016, Myyrmäki unit
- Degree Programme in ICT, major in Health Informatics: Innovation Project (10 ECTS, only in autumn), Bulevardi unit, Helsinki
- Mechanical Engineering: Innovation Project (10 ECTS), Kalevankatu unit, Helsinki
Exchange Student Intake
Please note that some degree programmes have limitations to the intake for incoming exchange students.
To avoid the risk of time-table clashes the incoming exchange students are recommended to take courses mainly from one degree programme. Please also note that certain courses are organised only if there are enough registrations for the course.
For International Semesters, it is only possible to choose the whole package of approximately 30 ECTS.
International Summer School
The Degree Programme in Information and Communication Technology organises a Summer School in August 2016, for the 16th time. Please note that there are courses available also for students studying other subjects. There are no tuition fees for the courses for students of Metropolia’s partner universities. All Summer School courses are taught in English.
More information about the courses in the Summer School can be found by April 2016, at the latest, at the Summer School website.
Incoming exchange students are advised to primarily choose courses from the field of technology degree programmes where tuition is organised in English. Project opportunities are available only in a few programmes.
If you are interested in a project, please indicate it clearly in your application. Include your CV in the application and propose a topic or a theme for the project. The international coordinators will contact you on whether the project is possible.
General information about the field of culture and creative industries:
Courses in the academic year 2015-2016:
- Conservation: Autumn 2016, exchanges possible only in the autumn semester - in the autumn 2017 the course list consists of second year courses in object, painting, furniture and/or textile conservation
- Cultural Management: Spring 2017 (pdf)
- Design: Spring 2017, Autumn 2016 (pdf)
- Fashion and Clothing: Spring 2017
- Film and Television: Spring 2017, exchanges possible only in the spring semester
- Live Performance Technology: no intake
- Media: Spring 2017 (pdf), courses available in graphic design and digital media; Autumn 2017 (pdf), courses available in 3D animatinoa and visualisation
- Performing Arts: no intake
Course information and availability subject to change throughout the academic year.
International Semester Programme 2016-2017
The Degree Programmes in health care and social services welcomes exchange students to apply for International Semester Programme. The International Semester Programme will be offered in both semesters, autumn and spring.
The International Semester programme (30 ects) includes:
- Finnish language and culture (5 ects)
- Innovation project studies (10 ects). Project conducted in co-operation with working life and carried out in a multi-professional teams. More information in Innovation Studies broschure
- Professional studies (10-15 ects) offered by the degree programmes:
- Biomedical Laboratory Science
- Emergency Care
- Occupational Therapy (autumn and spring)
- Optometry (autumn)
- Optometry (spring)
- Oral Hygiene
- Physiotherapy (autumn and spring)
- Podiatry (autumn and spring
- Prosthetics and Orthotics (autumn and spring)
- Public Health Nursing
- Radiography and Radiotherapy
- Social Services (autumn)
- Social Services (spring)
Degree Programme in Elderly Care is able to accept students with good knowledge of Finnish language.
Degree Programme in Osteopathy is able to accept students with good knowledge of Finnish language. The degree programme welcomes students for International Week organized during spring semester.