Courses Available for Exchange Students
Incoming exchange students may only choose courses from the degree programmes that their home institution degree programme has an exchange agreement with. In addition, some courses are available for all exchange students (see below).
Finnish Language Courses
Exchange students studying at Metropolia can familiarise themselves with Finnish language and culture on the course Finnish for Exchange Students (3-5 ECTS). The course is offered free of charge for exchange students. Several Finnish courses are organised on different campuses at the beginning of each semester.
Please note the Finnish for Foreigners courses are intended primarily for our non-Finnish speaking degree students, not exchange students. Therefore, if you wish to study Finnish during your exchange, please choose the course Finnish for Exchange Students instead.
Schedules for the Autumn Semester 2017 - will be updated during spring 2017!
Schedules for the Spring Semester 2017:
Group 1: Finnish for Exchange Students (XXXAB02-3030)
on Bulevardi campus (Bulevardi 31, Helsinki)
Tuesdays 17.1. - 11.4. from 16.30 to 18.45, classroom P218
Group 2: Finnish for Exchange Students (XXXAB02-3031)
on Bulevardi campus (Bulevardi 31, Helsinki
Mondays 13.3. - 15.5. from 16.30 to 18.45 (8 times) + Wednesdays 19.4.-10.5. from 16.30 to 18.45 (4 times), classroom P218
Other language courses
A selection of language courses are offered by the Metropolia Business School and organized at the Leiritie campus. Courses are available to exchange students if space permits.
Autumn semester 2016:
Finnish 1 (A1.1- A1.2) 5 cr LX00CG43
Finnish 2 (A1.2 - A2) 5 cr LX00CG44
French 2 (A1.2 - A2) 5 cr LX00CG45
French 4 (B1 - B2) 5 cr LX00CG52
German 2 (A1.2 - A2) 5 cr LX00CG46
German 4 (B1 - B2) 5 cr LX00CG53
Spanish 2 (A1.2 - A2) 5 cr LX00CG47
Spanish 4 (B1 - B2) 5 cr LX00CG54
Spring semester 2017:
Finnish 1 (A1.1- A1.2) LX00CG43
Finnish 3 (A2 - B1) LX00CG48
French 1 (A1.1- A1.2) LX00CF76
French 3 (A2 - B1) LX00CG49
German 1 (A1.1- A1.2) LX00CF77
German 3 (A2 - B1) LX00CG50
Spanish 1 (A1.1- A1.2) LX00CF74
Spanish 3 (A2 - B1) LX00CG55
Course schedules available in the Schedule Machine.
International Summer School
The Degree Programme in Information Technology offers an International Summer School in August 2016. The students of our partner institutions are welcome to take courses from the Summer School free of charge. All tuition is in English. More information about the courses in the Summer School can be found by April 2016, at the Summer School website.
Study Tour to St. Petersburg (3 ECTS)
This 8-day/5-day study tour is organised twice a year. The tour is designed to introduce the students to Russian business and academic culture. The detailed course information and instructions for enrolment will be announced at the beginning of each semester.
General information about the Business School:
Courses for incoming exchange students:
The following course list is available for exchange students from an institution the Business school has and exchange agreement with and who have been nominated to the Business school by their home institution.
Course information for 2017-2018
- Course implementation list for the autumn semester 2017. Please note that information in the ‘Upcoming implementations’ section in course descriptions will be updated constantly. Specific course schedules for autumn 2017 will be available by end of May 2017.
- Course information for Spring 2018 is estimated to be available in September 2017. Course schedules for Spring 2018 are estimated to be available in November 2017. Meanwhile, you may use the below information for 2016-2017 as a general reference.
- Course schedules available in the Schedule Machine. (Instructions)
Course information for 2016-2017
Courses for incoming double degree students:
The curriculum and course information for the academic year 2016-2017
- ESC La Rochelle (pdf)
- ESC Rennes (pdf)
- Fachhochschule Krems (pdf)
- Fachhochschule Münster (pdf)
- Hochschule für Technik und Wirtschaft Berlin (pdf)
- Hochschule für Wirtschaft und Recht Berlin
- Universidad Europea de Madrid (pdf)
- University of Hertfordshire
- University of Wolverhampton (pdf)
General information about the Field of Technology:
- Fact Sheet on the field of technology 2017-2018
Course List Availability
The courses listed below are preliminary and some changes might occur. Course information and availability is subject to change throughout the academic year.
Bachelor's Degree Programmes conducted in English:
- Environmental Engineering, Myyrmäki unit/Vantaa: courses offered jointly with Biotechnology and Chemical Engineering, autumn 2017
- Electronics, Albertinkatu unit/Helsinki: autumn 2017
- Sustainable Building Engineering, Agricolankatu unit/Helsinki: Autumn 2017
- Information Technology, Leppävaara unit/Espoo: Autumn 2017 / Spring 2018
* Major in Software Engineering
* Major in Smart Systems
* Major in IoT and Cloud Computing
* Major in Mobile Solutions
* Minor in Media Technology (only in Spring)
* Minor in Mobile Solutions (only in Spring)
International Semesters conducted in English:
- International semester Global ICT Business (autumn 2017 and spring 2018) (DP in Industrial Management), Leppävaara unit/Espoo
- International semester Supply Chain Management (autumn 2017 and spring 2018) (DP in Industrial Management, Leppävaara unit/Espoo
- International semester in Laboratory Sciences, Onnentie unit/Helsinki
Study opportunities for exchange students in Degree Programmes in Finnish
The following Finnish-taught degree programmes offer study opportunities in English for incoming exchange students in academic year 2017-2018:
- Automotive Engineering: Innovation Project (10 ECTS) or project in Metropolia Formula-team (10-30 ECTS), more information. Students applying for a project in Metropolia Formula-team will be interviewed via Skype before acceptance.
- Degree Programme in ICT, major in Health Technology, Bulevardi unit, Helsinki: Innovation Project (10 ECTS, only in autumn)
- Mechanical Engineering, Kalevankatu unit/Helsinki: Innovation Project (10 ECTS)
Exchange Student Intake
Please note that some degree programmes have limitations to the intake for incoming exchange students.
To avoid the risk of time-table clashes the incoming exchange students are recommended to take courses mainly from one degree programme. Please also note that certain courses are organised only if there are enough registrations for the course.
For International Semesters, it is only possible to choose the whole package of approximately 30 ECTS.
ICT Summer School
The Degree Programme in Information and Communication Technology organises ICT Summer School in August 2017, for the 17th time. Please note that there are courses available also for students studying other subjects. There are no tuition fees for the courses for students of Metropolia’s partner universities. All ICT Summer School courses are taught in English.
More information about the courses in the Summer School can be found by April 2017, at the latest, at the ICT Summer School website.
Incoming exchange students are advised to primarily choose courses from the field of technology degree programmes where tuition is organised in English. Project opportunities are available only in a few programmes.
If you are interested in a project, please indicate it clearly in your application. Include your CV in the application and propose a topic or a theme for the project. The international coordinators will contact you on whether the project is possible.
General information about the field of culture and creative industries:
Courses in the academic year 2017-2018:
- Conservation: no intake in autumn 2017, next intake in autumn 2018, course selection from third year courses mainly in painting and object conservation
- Cultural Management: Spring 2017 (pdf), exchanges possible only in the spring semester
- Design: Autumn 2017, Spring 2017
- Fashion and Clothing: Autumn 2017, Spring 2017
- Film and Television: Spring 2017, exchanges possible only in the spring semester
- Live Performance Technology: no intake
- Media: courses available in graphic design and digital media in Spring 2017 (pdf), courses available in 3D animation and visualisation Autumn 2017 (pdf)
Course information and availability subject to change throughout the academic year.
International Semester Programme 2017-2018
The Degree Programmes in health care and social services welcomes exchange students to apply for International Semester Programme. The International Semester Programme is offered in most degree programmes during autumn and spring semesters.
The International Semester programme (30 ects) includes:
- Finnish language and culture (5 ects)
- Innovation project studies (10 ects). Project conducted in co-operation with working life and carried out in a multi-professional teams. More information in Innovation Studies broschure
- Professional studies (10-15 ects) offered by the degree programmes:
- Biomedical Laboratory Science
- Emergency Care
- Occupational Therapy (offered only during autumn semester)
- Oral Hygiene
- Prosthetics and Orthotics
- Public Health Nursing
- Radiography and Radiotherapy
- Social Services
Degree Programme in Elderly Care co-operates with the degree programme in Social Services. Incoming Exchange Students may select courses from Social services professional studies.
Degree Programme in Osteopathy welcomes Students From partner universities and networks for International Week organized during spring semester.