How to Apply: Exchange Students and Double-Degree Students
Step 1: Check the partner list
Check if your institution has a mobility agreement with Metropolia in your field of study:
If there is no student exchange agreement between Metropolia and your home institution, you cannot apply as an exchange student to Metropolia. However, you can apply to Open Studies (as a non-exchange/non-graduate student) or to the Metropolia Summer Schools. If you are interested in completing a full degree at Metropolia, see How to Apply.
Step 2: Check important information for your field of study
In order to successfully complete studies at Metropolia, level B2 in English on the CEFR scale is highly recommended for all applicants. This evaluation is based on self-assessment; language certificates are not required.
In addition, see information and requirements for each field of study in the fact sheets:
- Culture and creative industries
- Health Care and Nursing (Biomedical Laboratory Science, Emergency Care, Nursing, Oral Hygiene, Radiography and Radiotherapy)
- Well-being (Occupational Therapy, Optometry, Physiotherapy, Podiatry, Prosthetics and Orthotics, Social Services)
Step 3: Ask your home institution to nominate you
Have your student exchange period approved by your home institution. Before you can fill in the application for student exchange at Metropolia, your home institution needs to nominate you for exchange.
Step 4: Fill in the electronic application
Apply during the application periods for the incoming exchange students:
Applications for the Autumn Semester and Full Academic Year:
15 March - 1 May
Applications for the Spring Semester:
15 September - 1 November
(NB Music students! Check applications periods & instructions at: Students applying for the field of culture and creative Industries - Degree Programme in Music)
Fill in the electronic application form in the Mobility-Online system within the application period. The application process includes several steps: the online application form is just the first step. The link will be active during the application periods:
Required documents for the application:
- Official Transcript of Records in English signed by the representative of your home institution (your study transcript)
- Learning Agreement (your preliminary study plan for your exchange period)
- Erasmus students: Use the English version of your home institution's Learning Agreement form. See the instructions for filling in the contact information and responsible person in the Fact Sheet of your field of study (see Step 2). If no information on the responsible person is available, please leave it blank.
- Other incoming exchange students (e.g. students from institutions located outside Europe, FIRST, Nordplus): Use this Learning Agreement
- See the available courses
- Photo (500x500 pixels)
- Motivation letter included in the application form (max. 1,000 characters incl. spaces)
- If you are a student of the following fields, make sure to include also the additional documents listed below:
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Depending on the clinical placement there may be some special requirements regarding vaccinations and infectious diseases. Please see more on Study Guide.
- Students of Oral Hygiene: proof of Hepatitis B immunisation
Degree programmes in Conservation, Cultural Management, Design, Fashion and Clothing, Film and Television, Live Performance Technology and Media:
Upload a Curriculum Vitae in the same step with the Transcript of Records in Mobility-Online.
In the following programmes send also a portfolio to International Coordinator (see contact details below):
- Degree Programme in Design: a portfolio in print or digital form
- Degree Programme in Fashion and Clothing, students focusing on fashion design: a portfolio in print or digital form
- Degree Programme in Media: a portfolio in print or digital form
- Degree Programme in Film & Television, path for Film & Television Production: a portfolio (a hyperlink for 1-3 fiction or documentary short films). Note! no need for a portfolio if you plan on following the path for Media production.
Digital portfolios are sent by e-mail or an online file transfer system:
P.O. Box 4072
Degree Programme in Music:
All applying Music students must apply first through EASY:
Required application documents to be uploaded to EASY:
- Transcript of Records in English (study transcript)
- Learning Agreement / study plan
- Curriculum Vitae
- Demo /audition material (max. 3 pieces of music played by the student; various styles, various instrumental expression)
- 1 January - 1 April for autumn term / academic year / spring term
- 1 September - 1 October for spring term
Decisions will be sent to the students in April / October. All accepted students must fill the Metropolia common online form (Mobility Online) before the deadline 1 May / 1 November in order to get official acceptance letter and housing & arrival information. Instructions will be informed to the accepted students by e-mail.
International Coordinator responsible for incoming exchange students in Culture and Creative Industries
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Proposed project topic
Students interested in doing a project in the field of Technology during the student exchange period should indicate this clearly in the motivation letter. Please note that students are advised to primarily choose courses from the field of technology degree programmes or international semesters where tuition is organised in English. Project opportunities are available only in a few programmes.
Students will receive an automatic confirmation after sending the online application form successfully.
Step 5: Apply for housing
The application periods for exchange student housing at HOAS are:
• 1 April - 5 May for students applying for the autumn semester/full academic year
• 1 October - 5 November for students applying for the spring semester.
NB! Submit your application as early as possible during the HOAS application period. The available rooms are offered in the order the applications are submitted. However, offers will be sent to students via e-mail only after Metropolia has confirmed the selected students. Due to the limited number of furnished exchange student rooms, please note that applying by the deadline does not guarantee housing at HOAS. See more information on housing.
Step 6: Confirm if you accept the offered place
Within a month after the application period has ended you will receive information on whether you have been accepted as exchange student or not. Accepted students will receive an information package and an invitation / acceptance letter. Confirm in Mobility-Online if you accept the offered place or not.
Step 7: Plan your arrival
All exchange students are expected to arrive before the orientation (see Academic Calendar).
Questions? Contact the international coordinator of your field of study.